Saturday, June 23, 2007

Well, I'll be Daned.

A, The General and I had lunch at the Great Dane Brewpub in Hilldale today (Sid and The Boy were visiting with the latter's mother), and I could dismiss it by saying that it's exactly the same as the Great Dane Brewpub located downtown, except that it has no garden, doesn't brew it's own beer, and is located in a mall.

And I would, except that I wanted to rave about their blackened tuna sandwich, which is definitely worth eating. Charred to medium-done with Cajun spices and served garnished with gari (japanese pickled ginger) along with the usual tomato and "wasabi" mayo, this sandwich, to me, is the pick of their menu. It comes with "Kohl slaw" (according to the menu... Is that slaw made with kohlrabi? Or is Kohl's where they buy it?) or french fries, and I wanted the latter to go with my Bitter Woman IPA, a favorite beer. The fries were average; nothing, so far, has matched the fresh crunchiness of the fries of The Dog House at the Belvidere Oasis.

A had the falafel sandwich, which she liked. I thought it was soggier than it had to be, but she didn't. The General had the fish and chips and he expressed satisfaction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Expressed satisfaction" is the kind of minimalist statement that leaves the imagination hornswaggled.

Belches? A humdrum statement? An enigmatic smile? An opinion card handed out by our esteemed blogger with a 3 (out of 5) checked? R doesn't say...

Rokeach said...

You have to know The General, dude. When he expresses satisfaction, you don't start handing out report cards; that would be asking to be shot at dawn.