Friday, June 29, 2007

It was non-fat yogurt...

... fuck!
Yesterday, I made chicken in mint and coriander sauce for the second time.
This is a recipe from the Book of Vij, a holy text of great offerings. Unlike other holy texts, it is not infallible... notably, its vegetables in coconut sauce, as also its curried Brussels sprouts. The cooking times and heat intensities are often off. Despite this, the things it does well are outrageously good: the Vij family chicken curry, among many others. The chicken in mint and coriander sauce is one of these.
The first time I made it, it was my first week with the book, which was loaned to me by Erik the Widely Traveled. At that time, as often happens with new loves, it seemed nothing I could do would go wrong. One after another, the preparations flew from my hands like well-seasoned doves. This dish was special, in the sense that it was a delicately flavored curry that The General and A were unanimously, and vociferously, enthusiastic about.
Delicate flavors are not a strength of Indian cooking, which tends to box one about the ears with its character. (Not that I'm complaining: I'm a boarding school product, and I understand well that strength is not necessarily evil.) And that's what, in a nutshell, I like best about this book; it's a great amalgam of traditional (like the kala chana- black chickpea- curry) and innovative (like the eggplant and green onion curry).
So when I made the chicken in coriander and mint sauce for the first time, it was great; but then, yesterday, when I made it again, it was marginal, barely teetering on the edible. And the difference was (full credit to A for pin-pointing the problem) the yogurt in which I cooked the chicken. The first time, I used Greek yogurt; the second time, I used non-fat yogurt. Watery and tasting like chicken dipped in mint-coriander chutney, it was all I could do to throw the whole lot out with notable kicks upon its breech.
So listen up, yo (I'll be candid); there is no such thing as healthy good food. In other words, you can live free, or die old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've often found the best way to ruin coffee is to pour any amount of skim milk.

You, my dear friend, have discovered the analogy with your fancy Vij chicken dish.