Sunday, June 17, 2007

Mid-morning, south of the border

As usually happens on Sundays, A and I got hungry in the late morning. This often results in one of three or four options: Bluephie's by default; Relish if we don't feel like Bluephie's; and Tex Tubb's if A gets her way (occasionally; she will not hesitate to rope in The Boy to this end). We will have the occasional disaster like the one at Willalby's... a two hour wait for a very average greasy spooner. What I really wanted this morning was to cook my World Famous scrambled eggs with mustard seeds and curry leaves and eat them with plain parathas, but we had no eggs and Trader Joe's wasn't about to become Destination #1.
Which is how we found ourselves at Juanita's Tacos, south of the beltline in a strip-mall that I did not know existed. The Isthmus had given it a good write-up and I was looking for an opportunity to try it. Specifically, I wanted to try the grilled goat, apparently a week-end special.
So the way it turned out was that there was no weekend special; and they were missing other things on the menu, too, like the flavored rice-milk thingy that I love, I think it's called Horchata (I always feel like Bertie Wooster going on about his Scripture Knowledge prize when I talk about the Spanish classes I took in the winter of 2003-4; but I did, and I still don't speak any Spanish, and it's always impressive to me to see someone speaking a language not native to them, like A speaking Spanish to the non-English speaking waitress); A wanted chorizo with her eggs and beans and that was out, too. Besides that, though, it was a pretty good experience. They serve you deep-fried tortilla chips (pronounced "authentic" by A) with two sauces; the green, or avocado+cilantro+peppers, is excellent. The red, or chile+lime+tomatoes, is pretty good. A got her favorite breakfast of scrambled eggs, beans and tortillas, which to me was neither here nor there... but hey. I got something that was named like it was a villainous scheme in a Bollywood pot-boiler, a "Robert's special torta", which turned out be something like a combo hot sandwich; a bun packed with excellent garlic-and-citrus marinaded steak, pulled pork, ham, possibly chicken (it got difficult to tell), lettuce, mayo, tomato and pickled jalapenos. There was probably more but I couldn't tell for sure. It was really good but I could eat only half of it, meaning that I had to waste the other half... which always upsets me a bit. To drink, I had a flavored hibiscus iced-tea, which did not make much of an impression to start with but became a very pleasant accompaniment to the sandwich.
The ambiance is that of your standard strip-mall; vinyl perma-chairs and tables, salmon-y paint-jobs, the cooler behind the counter and the very large trucks outside the plate-glass window.
I do intend to go back and try those interesting looking shrimp-cocktails that a couple of other customers were having. I think A might have her sights set have on the frosting-covered cake, but after yesterday's long jabber about healthy eating, I can't be sure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sure, now that I'm out of town, you start your restaurant reviews, ya big jerk, ya!

Rokeach said...

But Mike, what else am I going to do on Tuesday nights?