Saturday, July 28, 2007

A perfect summer evening

A and I decided to go to Osteria Papavero without much ado on Friday evening.
We started with a poached chicken appetizer. For the entree, she wanted the clam spaghetti but ended up with the Gramigna con Salsiccia, a pasta with sausage ragout, because they ran out (at 6pm). I had the roast quail special. She drank a chianti with hers, I had an Italian pilsner, Moretti (I switched to Bell's Oberon in the next round).
This is the second time, in a row, that the OP has blown my socks off. I had the Polipo in Umido, or octopus in tomato, last time. At this rate, my sock drawer may well be empty before fall. Is this place Madison's best kept secret? How could it be, since it sits right in the middle of the restaurant district? Or did I merely come to this place late, and that too by word from Lethal's mouth? Thank you, dear Lethal. You have made me want to sell my house and move back into the Bellevue, from where I could walk out the lobby of one and into the bar of the other without soiling what remains of my socks. Thanks.
Later, we strolled down to the Orpheum and saw The Simpsons movie. A declared it the best movie she's watched in a while. Certainly the fellow in front of us was enthusiastically appreciative of every plot development. Apu did not feature much at all, nor even Ralph Wiggums or Mr Burns, and those are my favorite characters; despite this, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and went a long way in erasing memories of the idiotic Hustle and Flow that we had watched the previous evening.
On the way back, A, now tired and yawning, consented to sit outside at The Local (remote and strangely apt memory...it used to be a comic store back in the day when the ladies of the night still patrolled King Street... Comic Store Guy got a good scene or two in the Simpsons movie) and have a drink with me, before we came back home.

No comments: